Monday, May 13, 2013

An Experiment in the Grace of God


Matthew 5:38-48

Retaliation
38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41 And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

Love Your Enemies 
43 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

__________

Have you ever been wronged?  Has anybody ever taken anything from you or treated you unfairly?  Has somebody that you trusted and somebody that you supported ever disappointed and let you down?

The answer to all of these questions are....yes.  Yes, you have been wronged.  Yes, you have been treated unfairly.  Yes, people have disappointed you.  This has happened to all of us at some time or another and God is certainly no stranger to this grim reality.

I have recently been wronged as well.  It comes in the form of a pair of Oakley sunglasses.  Now, names need not be mentioned and feelings need not be hurt.  However, there is a grand experiment flowing out of this process.  I have searched my car front to back and up and down to find these sunglasses that I so recently bought during the golf season.  They are the best sunglasses I have ever owned (even though that is not saying much concerning I never really wore sunglasses in the first place).  But anyway, they were stolen out of my car.  And yes, I know who took them as well.  It was a pretty obvious conclusion considering the fact that they were there and then they weren't in such a span of time that only one other person had been in my car since then.  So, there is no mystery in the fact that my sunglasses were taken by a certain individual.  However, at the time I keep searching and searching in hopes that I am wrong in my assumption and conclusion.  

Now, here is the issue.  As things began to unravel and truth began to become evident in the situation I was instantly filled with anger.  Why would this person do this to me of all people?  I have supported them and been there for them in every possible way that I could.  If they needed something that could have come to me.  

"I'm going to go to that house and take them back" was my first response.  However, as time began to pass and I began to think about it, why was I really upset to begin with?  Was it the fact that they were my favorite sunglasses?  Was I upset that an object was stolen from me?  I mean, objects come and go.  I don't worship those sunglasses so that can't be the case.  So as that realization began to sink in I began to feel hurt because it was done to me.  Well, am I hurt due to the fact the sunglasses were taken?  Not physically, mentally a little shaken, and emotionally a little hurt, but my faith in God is still good.  So why am I still so upset?

Then it hit me.  I should be more concerned about the person that stole them than the object stolen or even my own well-being.  The person is more important.  So I began to think, how do I show them Jesus?  How do I use this as a teachable moment of grace and mercy when the person is deserving of wrath and justice?  And here is my conclusion. 

Be. Like. Christ.

What does Christ say?  Well, if somebody takes your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.  In laymen terms, if somebody wants to take your shirt then give them your jacket also.  If somebody wrongs you or wants to do you harm, give them more.  Somebody wants you to walk one mile, go two.  Why?  Because in so doing you are showing them Christ.  The first step in this experiment of grace is to ask, "What else do you want?"  Sure, you've stolen from me, but what else can I do for you?  You want more?  You want money?  What?

At some point in the near future I will look this person in the eye and ask them if they know why I have decided to respond to this situation the way that I have.  And at some point in that conversation the Gospel of Jesus Christ will be presented and the grace of God will be given to this individual.  And through doing this a life may be changed and a whole family as well.  This is my prayer.  In the meantime, in the midst of all of the denials and hurt feelings, all I can do is pray for the one who persecutes me and thank God to be counted worthy to be persecuted.  I must love the one who has shown no love so that the Father will be given glory.  And I want y'all to be a part of this grand experiment.  Forgiveness is the simple answer.  I will let you know how this works out and how God works through this situation in the coming weeks.  

In the meantime, pray.  Pray that this person's conscious will be struck with conviction by the Spirit of God and that they will repent of their current lifestyle and turn to Jesus.  Also, pray that God will be glorified in the present situation and that His name will be known among all whom are involved.

Thank you and preach Christ crucified,

TRS

No comments:

Post a Comment